Re: [SLE] kernel's System.map
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:20:10 +0100
On Thursday 07 March 2002 06.11, S.Toms wrote:
Stupid question, but what exactly tells the kernel to use which
System.map? I notice the kernels supplied by SuSE are named like this,
System.map-2.4.16-4GB but if I compile my own it typically gets created as
just System.map. Now if I wanted to use the same nameing to keep track of
them, ie: System.map-2.4.18-4GB what tells the kernel to look for the
correct one?

The kernel doesn't look at the map at all. It is used to get human readable
names in crash output (see ksymoops).

But I believe the default for ksymoops is to look at System.map-<kernel
version>, but you can change that with -m mapname

//Anders