Re: [SLE] The story so far...
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:50:17 +0000
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:18:51AM -0500, mikejr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello all, and thank you for all your advice, my knowledge of linux has
grown considerably being able to ask other fellow penguin heads
questions about the O/S and general questions. I have another question
for the boldest and bravest of you.

I have a IBM thinkpad T23 and I have put a dual boot system on it. It
works great.There is a nice little startup screen and different O/Ss are
there to choose from.

I am starting to work on KDM and I can't seem to get the Video drivers
to work. I keep telling it I have a certain video card and it tells me I
am stupid.

So I can get the Graphical Interface to come up, but it is 640x480 and
in vga mode, I have an s3 supersavage card and am supposed to get
1400x1050 resolution out of this puppy, my network card does not work
and this makes the linux installation almost totally useless.

Do any of you know where I can find a how-to for drivers and changing
the settings of KDM so I can actually use this great new linux partition
I have put on my laptop.

I don't think that KDM is your problem - it's the X setup that is causing
the resolution problem. If you haven't tried, play about with sax2 a bit,
to see if you can get it to detect it.

I don't have a T23, but www.linux-laptop.net (or something similar) is an
excellent reference site for HOWTOs and stuff on using specific laptops
with Linux.

--
David Smith Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380 (direct)
STMicroelectronics Fax: +44 (0)1454 617910