Re: [SLE] vitual ram
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:31:24 +0000
On Tuesday 05 March 2002 12:12 pm, you wrote:
why should my virtual ram swap file be as large as my ram memory?
i have 768 ram and my swap is 779
is it possible to reduce it, and how

UNIX systems don't use swap files, they use swap partitions. That is, a
partition of the disk is reserved exclusively for swap information. Everyone
seems to have a rule which says how big your swap parition should be relative
to your physical RAM, but there's no hard or fast rule. It depends what
you're doing with your system. My desktop has 1GB RAM + 128MB for swap. That
swap space rarely gets more than half full.

The only way to change your swap space is to repartition the disk. This will
work OK as long as you turn swap off before you start, but be very careful...

--
1:26pm up 20 days, 5:06, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.08, 0.02