Re: [SLE] ReiserFS questions
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:25:24 +0100
On Tuesday 05 March 2002 11.07, Marcel Waldvogel wrote:
One other point - are there issues with dump/restore or tools like dd?

Yes, they don't work at all. There is a dump for XFS I think, but AFAIK
none for reiser.

There is no real dump. But if you want a dump look-alike, which supports
dump levels from 0-9 and uses tar as the backend, you may want to consider
the reiserfsdump wrapper script at
http://marcel.wanda.ch/Source/#reiserfsdump

I would not recommend using dd for a backup, except when the partition is
unmounted. Even then, only if you want to waste extra space (dd dumps the
unused areas as well, which might contain uncompressible garbage) for the
sake of read speed.

You only need notail on a reiserfs partition that holds /boot.

With newer versions of lilo (e.g., what is included with 7.3), notail is no
longer required.

Yeah, unfortunately my psychic powers were failing me when I wrote that mail,
which was when 7.2 was current (or was it 7.1, even. Memory fails me in my
old age).

//Anders