Re: [SLE] remote starting a java app through SSH
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:32:29 -0400

On March 4, 2002 04:18 pm, Eric Carbone wrote:
On my Linux server I am running Java version 1.3.1_02

From a PC on the network, I log into this Linux machine using SSH.

I try launching a java app named CrushFTP by logging in as root and typing
the following:

# java -jar CrushFTP.jar

When I type this line and hit Enter, I get the following:

...snip...

Any idea what causes the error and how to fix it?

I take a look over at my Linux machine and CrushFTP does NOT start up.

BY THE WAY ...

If I type java -jar CrushFTP.jar from a shell while sitting in front of the
Linux machine (versus entering this command through SSH), then CrushFTP
starts up fine.

When you login with ssh, use:

ssh -X user@machinename

That will forward X (the graphic stuff) over an SSH tunnel. If the machine is
far away, you can add the '-C' option to compress the data and improve

Hope that helps.

- --
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.