Re: [SLE] connect two boxes thru the internet... but how
  • From: Austin Morgan <admorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:50:36 -0600
This is a lot more complicated than ftp or scp, but it is a clearer
method to acomplish what you are suggesting. You might look at sfs.
The self-certifying file system will give you the security and share the
files out as a shared directory. I have never implemented this as a mac
but I am sure there is a mac client out there. Another option would be
to set up an ssh tunnel to an nfs share or a vpn setup. They all have
their strengths and weaknesses. As strange as it may sound the VPN
setup would probably be the easiest, just do the the ammount of
information available to setup an VPN network on any type of system.
Another option is to setup an majordomo type configuration so as people
could send in an e-mail request for the image they need and it would
e-mail it to them. The only problem there is they would need to know
what images are available. As to how do they find you, you would need
to make your ip address known to the host. I personally use a service
called www.dyndns.org. If you find them useful please donate something
to them. It will make your dynamic ip (or static) accesable by name
such as myhost.dyndns.org. I hope this helps, there is unfortunately no
best option. If you do not feel you are capable of doing the setup
yourself you might go to your LUG and ask participants there. It is
amazing how mcuh information you can get from a LUG.

Good luck,
Austin