Re: [SLE] Fixing Linux/Windows was SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: Clint Tinsley <cttinsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:11:46 -0600
Harrell, Tim wrote:

One of the things I like most about Linux is that you *can* fix
something if you've made a cockup.

It's always shocking when I hear experienced computing colleagues
casually mention how they've just reinstalled a brand new system because
they loaded the wrong drivers for their printer or digital camera. I
have a friend who is a corporate 'expert' on Windows and managed 4
reinstalls of W2K in the first week as he tried to sort out the various
driver issues on his new system!
When I tried to suggest that it was indicative of how inferior Windows
is he became extremely annoyed (although he hasn't got much hair left to
tear out after all his windows troubles).

I think it has been said here that much of problems are attibutable to the wetware at the keyboard, not the operating system, be it Linux or Windows. Incidentally, my Windows 98 SE is system is an upgrade that started out life as DOS/Windows 3.1, upgraded many times with newer system board, hard drives, adapter cards, CD-ROMs, DVD, etc. et. al, and operating systems - Windows95, 95a, 98, 98SE, all without a hit, never formatted C or reinstalled Windows! I don't think I could have done the same thing starting out with an early version of Linux such as Slackware or Calderea Open Base 1.x (I have a copy or each) and made the same claim... There would have definitely been some destructive (read: blow the hard drive) reinstalls a long the way if not recompilations of the operating system.

Clint