Re: [SLE] /bin/login missing
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:28:40 +0200
1. Please, don't cross-post. If you have to send the same message to several
lists, use bcc

2. Is this a machine that's on the internet? If so, you should never use
telnet. Telnet transmits everything in cleartext, including passwords, so
you'd have hackers in your system in about five seconds. ssh is a safe
replacement. In suse 7.2 telnet is off by default. There is good reason for
this.

3. If your system has been hacked, I'd say the only way to be sure you were
rid of all backdoors etc. was a full reinstall.

4. When you've done the reinstall, set up a firewall *before* going live on
the net. SuSEfirewall is good enough for most purposes.

Anders