Re: [SLE] PCMCIA & kernel 2.4.x
  • From: Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:18:31 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Rick Green wrote:

> After a default install of 7.2pro, I deleted the pcmcia package, since
> this machine is a desktop system with no pcmcia slots. As yast2 was
> removing the package, a message flashed by "...also needed by kernel
> 2.4.x". I fear that I may have pulled the rug out from under myself.
> The machine still boots and runs, so I haven't found a problem yet.
> Should I put that package back in? What might I expect to happen if I
> don't?

No, can can leave the pcmcia package removed. It is not needed, if you do
not have PCMCIA :)

For future releases, we try to make YaST2 smart enough to not install
certain packages, if the hardware is not present. PCMCIA will be one of
them.

Bye,
LenZ
Lenz Grimmer SuSE GmbH
mailto:grimmer@xxxxxxx Schanzaeckerstr. 10
http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/ 90443 Nuernberg, Germany
The Day of Judgement is approaching, or it is not.