Re: [SLE] Resolving dependencies
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:12:12 -0400
On Wednesday 29 August 2001 08:06 am, Rachel Greenham wrote:
> SuSE 7.2 is great, but there seems to be one major step backwards which
> I'm having problems with:
>
> If I want to remove a package, and something else depends on it, I can't
> now find out *what* depends on it, so I can make a decision about
> whether I want to remove that too.
>
> It's driving me up the wall. It's just sitting there telling me that
> certain packages are required, but won't tell me what by. Argh!
>
> Has anyone figured out a way of doing this on 7.2?

You don't say so but you must be using YAST or YAST2.

One way to find the dependencies is to use the command line and try the
following:

rpm -e --test <rpm file name>

As in the following example: (note that the dependencies are clearly stated)

# rpm -e --test kdebase-2.2.0-0

error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
kdebase is needed by kdebase-yast2-0.1-82
kdebase is needed by kdebase-devel-2.2.0-0
kdebase is needed by kdebase-nsplugin-2.2.0-0
libkateinterfaces.so is needed by kdeaddons-2.2.0-1
libkonq.so.3 is needed by kfilecoder-0.5.0-130
libkonq.so.3 is needed by knc-1.90-141
libkonq.so.3 is needed by kdeaddons-2.2.0-1

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/29/01 09:10 +
"Why in a country of free speech, are there phone bills?"