RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: "Harrell, Tim" <HarrelT1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:28:28 +0100
From: Daniel Woodard [mailto:schreck@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 10:11 PM
To: SLE
Subject: RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down

If you live and breath sys admin, then of course it's easy. If it's the
7th
of 10 (time consuming) hats you wear, Linux can be very hard to use. I
still
"break" things and then have a really hard time getting it to work
again.
Lib this, permission that, missing this, on and on. Yeah, I love the
power,
but for me it's an extended hobby/passion of love thing. Like I said,
others
in my shoes would never go through the learning curve and would opt for
Mac server, or a Windows server.
--------------------------------------

One of the things I like most about Linux is that you *can* fix
something if you've made a cockup.
On windows I've suffered irretrievable Registry corruption and missing
or incompatible DLLs thanks to the anarchic way that software is
installed (with 3rd party software overwriting key system DLLs).

It's always shocking when I hear experienced computing colleagues
casually mention how they've just reinstalled a brand new system because
they loaded the wrong drivers for their printer or digital camera. I
have a friend who is a corporate 'expert' on Windows and managed 4
reinstalls of W2K in the first week as he tried to sort out the various
driver issues on his new system!
When I tried to suggest that it was indicative of how inferior Windows
is he became extremely annoyed (although he hasn't got much hair left to
tear out after all his windows troubles).

Tim Harrell