Re: [SLE] AMI IDE Raid driver for Suse Linux 7.1 - HELP !
  • From: babu walad <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Martin,

I pretty much agree with your recommendations.
I did some further snooping on the AMI web pages and
found they have a similar driver and patch for Redhat
7.0 and I also found a driver patch and instructions
(I am inserting them below) to patch Linux. Is there
any way to tell if this will work with Suse Linux 7.0
or 7.1 short of just trying it?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Babu

4 Installing MegaRAID IDE on an Existing Installation
Installing MegaRAID IDE on an Existing Installation

If you have RedHat installed on your system and want
to add additional storage, these are the steps that
you should follow.

· Upgrade the Linux Kernel to provide support for
MegaRAID IDE
· Install MegaRAID IDE drive(s)
· Install the monitoring software

How to Upgrade the Kernel

The standard RedHat 7.0 installation installs kernel
2.2.16-22. RedHat kernel 2.2.16-22 does not come with
support for the CMD chip on the MegaRAID IDE Card. The
kernel must be updated.. You can obtain the update
kernel from one of the following website:

ftp://www.ami.com/ide-raid/RedHat7.0/Release/Kernel/

The name of the file to download is
linux-2.2.16-22-MegaIDEtgz.

To upgrade the kernel, follow the steps below:

Step 1 Log on to your system as a super user and go to
the /usr/src directory. Find a soft link called
"Linux" and remove it by using "rm Linux". Once the
soft link is removed, copy the new kernel to this
directory. Extract the file using "tar -zxvf
linux-2.2.16-22MegaIDE.tgz". The file should be
extracted under a directory called Linux. Rename this
directory to linux-2.2.16-22-MegaIDE with the command
"mv linux 2.2.16-22-MegaIDE.tgz". Create a softlink
call linux to this directory.
"ln -s
linux-2.2.16-22MegaIDE linux"

Cont'd
How to Upgrade the Kernel, Continued

Step 2 In the directory /usr/src/linux run the
command "make menuconfig". Under block devices make
sure the following options are selected:

<*>CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
<*>CMD640 enhanced support
<*>Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
<*>CMD64X chipset support

Exit menuconfig saving the configuration. Run the
following commands:

"make clean"
"make depend"
"make bzImage"
"make modules"
"make modules_install"
"cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
/boot/2.2.16"

Step 3 The final steps involves editing the file
lilo.conf. This file can be found in the directory
/etc. Open the file using the vi editor with the
following command "vi /etc/lilo.conf" and add the
following lines to the file:

image =/boot/2.2.16
label =2.2.16
read-only
root=/dev/hda5

The line root=/dev/hda5 will not be correct if you are
booting from a different partition. Look for a
previous entry in the file for the correct partition.

root=/dev/hda?

Exit and save lilo.conf.

Run the command "lilo -v"

Reboot.

At the boot prompt hit the tab key. This should give
you the option to boot to the new kernel.

Installing MegaRAID IDE Driver

Download the zipped driver file for RedHat 7.0 from
the American Megatrends' ftp site
(ftp://ftp.megatrends.com/ide-raid/ ). It contains the
following files:

· MegaIDE.o
· MAKEDEV

Create a directory called
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MegaIDE and copy the
above files to it.

Run the following command:
"./MAKEDEV"

To load Ideraidconf driver run the command:
"insmod MegaIDE.o"

To unload the driver run the command:
"rmmod MegaIDE"

Note: The driver will not load unless you have
created a RAID.