Re: [SLE] Install in Second Partition
  • From: Nevada <nevada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:34:17 -0700
> Roger wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I would like to install Linux, via FTP, on my
> machine; in a second partition, first partition is Windows.
>
> I did a defrag. But am not sure if all sectors
> have been moved to beginning of disk.
>
> If the Linux part overwrites some of these unmoved sectors,
> then Windows will not work right (what else is new?).
>
> Am I ok, as it is now? How can I tell if there are sectors
> that must be moved? What can I do to move sectors
> if need be?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Your best bet is to use partition magic to set up your hard drive.
The latest version does support ext2 partitions.

If you boot from the /boot partition, it is best to place this partition
at the beginning of the drive to prevent boot problems, altho the newer
versions of linux is suppose to let you place it anywhere on the drive.

Nevada