7.2 install woes...more errors than you can shake a stick at
Hi all

I installed 7.2 yesterday and it was a nightmare, lots of errors. If anyone
can help with one or two from below, please advise or if already answered on
the mailing list, how do you search the list? Before I used geocrawler, but
now there seems no way of searching.

Questions, details follow. Thanks Rich

1. How to use two swap partitions, what is priority 42?
2. Anti-aliased fonts do not seem to work.
3. attempt to access beyond end of device...?
4. Installing packages, many errors - grep broken pipe etc.
5. can't locate char-major-145.
6. Sound pops on startup and shows insmod errors with KDE 2.1.2.
7. USB Logitech Quickcam Express and Miro TV card

---
1. How do you get to use two swap partitions? YaST2 only used one of the two
partitions setup, with this entry in /etc/fstab. What does the pri=42 do?
/dev/hdb2 swap swap pri=42 0 0

Before I just used defaults. Do I simply add another line like:

/dev/hda10 swap swap pri=42 0 0 or /dev/hda10 swap swap defaults 0 0 ?

---
2. Anti-aliased fonts? Should these work with the fonts installed by default
with 7.2? Or do I need MS fonts ttf to see any advantage? I have turned them
on under KDE CC Style, but there appears no difference. I did notice this
message whilst installing Xlib: extension RENDER missing on :0.0 but after
install it no longer appears. I am using a Matrox G200.

---
3. I had lots of this message repeated in my log files, anyone know what it
means?

Aug 27 16:04:30 linux kernel: Directory sread (sector 0x14eff31) failed
Aug 27 16:04:30 linux kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Aug 27 16:04:30 linux kernel: 03:01: rw=0, want=10977177, limit=7341673

It might be tied in to something wrong with the DVD or my DVD drive as I had
a few packages that returned an error when installing. Only afterwards did I
find an explanation of sorts, it showed the rpms as not found on the DVD, see
log for YaST2 below, in the end I manually installed the rpms that were
reported as missing?!

2001-08-27 13:35:08 <2> linux(188) [packager]
Y2PackagerComponent.cc(doActualWork):118 Package
/var/adm/mount/suse/a1/lilo.rpm not found

---
4. Installing packages from YaST1 and 2 reports many errors in the
background:

grep: writing output: Broken pipe [repeated many times]

manpages:
fopen: no such file or directory [repeated many times]

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 is not a symbolic link [Should this be
a symbolic link, is this just a warning?]

---
5. Every time the pc is started it reports it can not locate char-major-145.
What is 145? Do I just add a line in modules.conf to show "off"?

---
6. Sound

I am using an ISA AWE 32 sound card that worked fine under SuSE 6.3. 7.2
works fine except for a loud pop when starting the PC and under KDE 2.1.2 I
get these insmod errors:

insmod: a module named snd-pcm-plugin already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod sound-service-0-3 failed

---
7. USB Logitech Quickcam Express and Miro TV card

Mandrake 8 detects and uses a module for this camera out of the box. A
driver is not available in the SuSE kernel, but I have the driver to insmod
it manually, but how do I go about using this driver automatically with kmod,
like under Mandrake 8?

Also I have a Miro TV card using the BT848 chip, SuSE 7.2 known problems has
a configuration page for TV cards but the link does not work:

The requested URL /en/sdb/html/cg_wintv.html was not found on this server.
Where is this page, or does anyone have the instructions?

Many thanks
Rich