Re: [SLE] Access to userdirs on Apache webserver
  • From: David List <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:59:15 +0200
On Tuesday 21 August 2001 21:10, dog@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> you need to edit /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and look for the line like
> UserDir public_html
> #<Directory /home/*/public_html>
>
> change this from public_html to pub and then on your users home
> directories, set the permissions to 755 (rwxr-xr-x) and do the same for
> the pub directory in the users home directory. restart apache and that
> should take care of the problem.

It works now. However, could I get your comments on the userdir settings in
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf? Now they look like this:

<Directory /home/david/pub>
AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
<Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Limit>
<LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

I only need to be able to see and download files from other networks. I
will not need to upload files to the server. Are these settings allright or
could I make them even more secure?
I don't quite get the fact that the Limit and the LimitExcept directives
seem to contradict each other. What do they do?

Thank you for your help till now.

Best regards,
David List