Re: [SLE] VMWare, Win4Lin, and SuSE 7.2
  • From: Michael Molloy <mmolloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:52:07 -0500
I don't believe there is a demo of Win4Lin 3.0. I took the plunge and purchased it because a friend highly recommended it. I had some trouble with it recently and took the opportunity to try the VMWare demo.

Win4Lin Pros
Networking and filesharing are great. Both the c:\ and d:\ drives are directories in my linux home directory, so it is very, very easy to share files between operating systems.
Windows seems to be about as responsive as a regular installation.
I get 99% of the functionality that I need.
Win4Lin Cons
Emulates a Cyrix CPU which prevents some SQL Server tools from installing. (They demand a true 586 or higher system).
Only runs Windows95 or Windows98. Again, some SQL server tools will only install on Win2k.
Kernel support is running a bit behind. No support for SuSE 7.2 yet. I'm having to run their generic 2.4.5 kernel, which means no sound :-(

VMWare Pros
Recognized my PIII chip, so that allowed me to install all of the SQL Server 2k tools that didn't require Win2k.
Like Win4Lin, the functionality was quite good
VMWare Cons
Didn't seem quite as responsive as I had hoped, but I've only got a total of 192 MB RAM in my machine, so I couldn't afford to give it as much as Bruce did.
Filesharing was a bit confusing. Admittedly, I have only set up Samba once, and that was several months ago, but it was a task to configure networking to get an external IP address, to get an internal (i.e., on my machine's internal network) IP address, and to cooperate with my existing Samba setup to share files between the Windows installation and linux. Fortunately for me, support at Netraverse solved the problem I was having with Win4Lin, and I didn't have to (get to?) figure all of that out.

All things considered, I'm very happy with Win4Lin. VMWare would have been better if the filesharing had been easier.

--Michael