Re: [SLE] VMWare, Win4Lin, and SuSE 7.2
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:26:19 -0400
On Tuesday 21 August 2001 04:42, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > 1. Anyone tried both VMWare and Win4Lin, what are the plusses/minuses
> > of each? (I'm thinking of VMWare express or Win4Lin 3.0)
> > 2. Anyone get either to work with 2.4.9?
> > 3. Is there an eval version of Win4Lin 3.0? I can't find it . . .
>
> Answers are in the archives, as already pointed out by someone else. Extra
> details, for what they are worth :
>
> I use Vmware 2.0.4 on Hubert Mantel's 2.4.7 kernel and my own 2.4.8 kernel.
> Haven't tried 2.4.9 but I think it would probably be OK.
>
> Netraverse, producers of Win4Lin, are in financial trouble. Whether this
> should have any bearing on your decision is up to you.

To add my comments:

I used to run Win4Lin under 2.2.18 on a Caldera distro. It worked ok but I
did have some problems and I never felt comfortable running with their
patches and the install was cumbersome and I never knew where 'all the
pieces' were.

When I moved to SuSE 7.2, I a) Still had some unresolved issues that
Netraverse was looking at, and b) was pretty clueless what was needed to
install it under a 2.4.x kernel. Looking at Netraverse's site didn't help
as I couldn't find any patches for 2.4.x.

I tried the VMware trial that comes with SuSE 7.2 and it was TERRIBLE!!
Extremely slow and my mouse just barely worked. Couldn't double click on
anything, etc. And I scrapped it.

But in relating my problems on the list, someone clued me that if I gave my
guest WIN98 machine (under VMware) some more virtual memory, things would get
better. Instead of 48MB (default) I gave it 200MB. (I have 512MB ram)
Things got a whole lot better! And I was able to fix the mouse problems by
just telling VMWare that I had a PS/2 mouse instead of letting it guess.

I now have a WIN98 machine sitting next to me that has been turned off and
all the Win apps have moved over to VMWare. And I have purchased the product.

VMWare truely does provide a virtual machine and I have not noticed any
problems with Windows running under VMware.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/21/01 09:18 +
" Disneyland has the fourth largest navy in the world.
Source: "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader"

< Previous Next >