Re: [SLE] How to upgrade to Perl 5.6.1 from cpan.org?
  • From: MRC Daglish <Mark.Daglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:56:04 +0100 (BST)

Derek,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Derek Fountain wrote:

> > I've noticed that SuSE installs perl in /usr/lib/perl5 directory.
> > However CPAN default directory for a newer 5.6.1 perl is /usr/local
> > Could somebody tell me please what is the best way to upgrade Perl on
> > SuSE7.2 without screwing the whole default perl structure and dependencies.
>
> Well, I still use SuSE-7.1, but what I did was build Perl-5.6.1 in /opt as a
> regular optional package, then make sure the path to that Perl was higher in
> my path than the normal one. I then use the 'env' tool to run my Perl
> scripts. You could also create a link in /usr/local or /usr/bin if you want
> your existing scripts to use the new binaries - I didn't do that.
>
> This gives the best of both worlds - you have and use the new version by
> default, but can fall back to the old version by using a fully qualified name
> should you need to.
>
> --
Thank you for the useful tip. I was interested to read your comment
about using "env" to run your Perl scripts. I have recently started
having problems with running my perl progs with errors like "No such
file or directory" even when using the fully qualified path to the
program. The program runs fine with "perl filename". I suspect your
"env" trick is the answer - more details please.

TIA,

Mark
Perl - Beginner