Re: [SLE] Which KDE 2.2 rpms for SuSE 7.1 are better?
  • From: "Fergus Wilde" <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:25:42 +0100

I used the kde 2.2 rpms at SuSE, using rpm -Fvh or -Uvh to upgrade from
2.2 beta, and using --nodeps or --force where needed. I did qt, then
kdelibs, then base then the rest. Then ran SuSEconfig. There were no
problems at all, except for :

1) Starting Konqueror as a web browser would lead to its segfaulting,
until I disabled the 'about Konqueror' screen that Konq starts with. In
the 'about Konq' screen, the text actually invites you to make Konq
start quicker by 'clicking here' - if you just click there, Konq will
start blank and I had no more segfaulting. YMMV. I think you could then
set konq to start with any homepage you happen to like.

2) Konq can't find openssl on its own. My ssl was installed by default
at /usr/bin/ssl (I think, not in front of Linux now). Use 'whereis' to
confirm the position of yours. Then go to Konqueror settings, find the
ssl setting bit and provide the path to openssl. There is a 'test'
button so you can see if it has found and is able to use your ssl
installation.

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with the rpms, only a tiny bit of
tweaking seems to be needed, apologies to anyone who has run into a
nightmare.

You should then be able to enjoy the very spiffy 2.2 kde in full, it
seems ever more beautiful with each release.

For this upgrade from kde2.2 beta, I didn't need to rename .kde2, or
delete files called *DCOP* or *MCOP* in my home dir, though I did have
to do this to get the beta to start. If kde 2 won't start at all after
the upgrade, it seems the advice is to do those two things. A new .kde2
dir will be created for you, and then you can fairly rapidly copy across
your favourite settings from the renamed .kde2 and its subdirs.

I thought the upgrade thoroughly worth it, all kudos to the kde team

Best to all
Fergus
Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library