Re: [SLE] VMWare, Win4Lin, and SuSE 7.2
  • From: Jyry Kuukkanen <jyry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:58:29 +0300 (EEST)
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Nick Webb wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been thinking about investing in either VMWare or Win4Lin, but I'm
> running the 2.4.9 kernel, which presents some problems. Anyway I have a
> few questions:
>
> 1. Anyone tried both VMWare and Win4Lin, what are the plusses/minuses
> of each? (I'm thinking of VMWare express or Win4Lin 3.0)
> 2. Anyone get either to work with 2.4.9?
> 3. Is there an eval version of Win4Lin 3.0? I can't find it . . .
>
> I don't want to play games or anything, just a few misc apps that I get
> from time to time (for classes, etc.) . . . please let me know your
> opinions on these products!

Hello Nick,

It might be a good idea for you to look the suse-linux-e archives for this
month (Aug) as these questions of yours got answered in details more than
a few times...

But let's have them again. Hopefully this won't spread into a large scale
debate on pros and cons...

1) vmWare is a big time CPU hog. It's true virtual-PC, though. You can run
DOS-VGA graphics apps in it and use IPX protocol etc.
win4lin, however, is not true virtual-PC and thus doesn't support IPX or
DOS-graphics, but it runs Windows faster as natively in the same PC,
especially if you have ReiserFS installed.

2) In order to get win4lin working with anything but 2-3 month old kernel
that Netraverse wakes up to support, you have to be a kernel hacker - and
a good one.

3) Used to be. Netraverse probably pulled if off as when someone tries to
install it with anything but some ancient kernel, they probably wouldn't
pay a penny for it ;-)

--jq