Re: [SLE] How to upgrade to Perl 5.6.1 from cpan.org?
> I've noticed that SuSE installs perl in /usr/lib/perl5 directory.
> However CPAN default directory for a newer 5.6.1 perl is /usr/local
> Could somebody tell me please what is the best way to upgrade Perl on
> SuSE7.2 without screwing the whole default perl structure and dependencies.

Well, I still use SuSE-7.1, but what I did was build Perl-5.6.1 in /opt as a
regular optional package, then make sure the path to that Perl was higher in
my path than the normal one. I then use the 'env' tool to run my Perl
scripts. You could also create a link in /usr/local or /usr/bin if you want
your existing scripts to use the new binaries - I didn't do that.

This gives the best of both worlds - you have and use the new version by
default, but can fall back to the old version by using a fully qualified name
should you need to.