new driver questions: module disks and re-creating SuSE's kernel config
  • From: Noah Romer <nromer@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:19:47 -0500
We're trying to increase our list of "supported" distributions beyond Redhat and I've run into a couple of issues in dealing with SuSE Linux (working w/ 7.2 i386 at the moment).

1) I see that you do have support of driver/module disks to be used during or after installation. However, I've been unable to figure out how to indicate dependencies between modules in the module disk. Our driver consists of multiple modules: mptbase (required by all "protocol" drivers), mptscsih (provides access to any disks connected to the adapter), mptlan (provides network support for our Fibre Channel adapters), mptctl (ioctls), and isense (enhanced scsi error codes for mptscsih). Now, mptbase must be loaded before any of the others can be loaded. Is there a way to indicate this in the modules disk (NEEDMOD seems like it might be the place, but all example I can find of it are just empty files)?

2) Is there some place I can find a saved kernel config file for the binary kernel(s) that are shipped with the distribution? I would like to be able to reproduce the kernel source config that's used by the distro so that I can compile our driver and be sure that all symbols will match when the end user tries to load our driver with the kernel they got when they installed.

Thanks.

--
Noah Romer
Driver Developer, CM gopher and Linux Whipping Boy

  • No further messages