Re: [SLE] 2.4.7 .. problem
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:52:48 -0300

On August 20, 2001 04:10 pm, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
> * Cliff Sarginson <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [Aug 20. 2001 12:08]:
> > Hello,
> > I just compiled and installed 2.4.7 from the SuSE ftp site..
> > It complains that there is a bad super-block on my root
> > file system..which there is not.
> > However has something fundamental changed in disk naming ?
> > There is a mysterious directory in /dev called discs..and
> > files that point to things that look like they may be disk devices.
> >
> > If there is something I should read..just point me at it..
>
> Did you compile devfs support in the kernel?

I made the same mistake. Compiling devfs into the kernel is not the problem,
setting the option to have the kernel mount it at boot time is.

/dev/hd* will not exist until devfsd is run later on, long after the kernel
attempts to mount the root device...

I could have set LILO to use the new device name, but I figured it was much
easier to simply remove the devfs mount option.

- --
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.
joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx