Re: [SLE] GPL ? possibly [OT]
  • From: Cliff Sarginson <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:58:46 +0200
On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:01:01AM -0400, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Sorry if this is OT. I've read the GPL and still don't quite understand somthing. If I read it
> right I cannot link a Non-GPL closed source app against a GPL library. Is this the case? Also
> if that is the case what about include files. Can I use includes to GPL header files in my
> closed source Non-GPL app? The later is certainly the critical question. It seems every time
> I read the GPL I come away with a different OPINION of what I can and cannot do. It's easier
> to understand than many other licenses but I'm no lawyer. The include file question is what
> I'm asking about I guess. Again sorry if this is OT or already covered somewhere.

First please wrap lines in your emails at 72.
I believe that if you write software that incorporates GPL
software as part of it, AND you license that software, then
the software must be under the GPL.
There is another license, for libraries, (SGPL ?..cannot remember)
that may apply to include files as well. That license is slightly
less restrictive.
That is my understanding.. which may be wrong !

Cliff