Re: [SLE] GPL ? possibly [OT]
  • From: Jonathan Riddell <jr050@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:11:14 +0100 (BST)
> Sorry if this is OT. I've read the GPL and still don't quite
> understand somthing. If I read it right I cannot link a Non-GPL closed
> source app against a GPL library. Is this the case?

You read right. You can not link to a GPL library and distribute the
result as a proprietry program.

> Also if that is
> the case what about include files. Can I use includes to GPL header
> files in my closed source Non-GPL app?

You could so long as you continued to distribute the header file under the
GPL and you didn't link to any GPL'd libraries and distribute the result,
which would be unlikely if you were using the header files.

Mind that most significant libraries are distributed under the Lesser GPL
which as an exception allows them to be linked to by non-GPL programmes.
What library are you trying to use?

Jonathan Riddell