RE: [SLE] AMD running too hot
  • From: "Harrell, Tim" <HarrelT1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:28:44 +0100
That setup is v. similar to mine - I have a 1.33 G Tbird also and a
Thermosonic heatsink. The OC guys tend not to go for ThermalTakes
because, although quiet and reasonably efficient, they're not the most
effective coolers around. Even so you should not be getting temps as
high as that unless you've overclocked it. I take it you're running a
standard 1.33 Ghz set at 10x with a 133MHz bus.

First advice is to forget about the front case fan and fit it to the
rear instead. Front fans are often next to useless as they can just
recirculate hot air over the board. Check the cooling guide on AMD's
site for more information. Check you have an AMD approved PSU (ie not
front-venting). Fitting the exhaust fan will help lower your system temp
but to keep your core temp low you need to ensure you either have a
decent thermal interface between the heatsink and the AMD core (like
Arctic Silver II).

I get an idle temp of 45C. I'm not sure what the full load temp is as I
don't have a reliable way of finding out the temperatures in Linux. I've
tried the sensors package but even after configuration that gives crazy
temperatures like 50C for the system temps on idle (I know from the BIOS
that it's around 35C).

As a matter of interest, what ways are you (or others reading this)
determining your temperatures?

Tim Harrell