Re: [SLE] AMD running too hot
  • From: James Arthur <j_a_arthur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:24:23 +0100 (BST)
> The other thing is, that Linux uses more HW
> resources, that's why performance is better than
> with Windoze,

I wouldn't say that Linux was more HW intensive. If
anything Windows is more hardware intensive. I
remember that to install Win2K on my old BP6/Dual
Celeron system I had to increase the core voltage of
the processors by about .1V, but Linux quite happily
installed and ran on a low voltage setting.

Check that APM/ACPI is compiled into the kernel and
that the processor goes into idle mode when CPU_IDLE
calls and NOPs are passed to it. That reduces the
strain on the processor and hence the temperature (not
to mention a small saving in power). Win2K does this
automagically on most systems, which may explain why
you're noticing a difference in temperature. You might
also like to check out Powertweak, which in theory can
lower the clock speed of your processor when it's not
needed so much, helping to cool it.

Are you running something like SETI or Distributed.net
or something else processor intensive in the
background? This tends to drive the operating
temperatures through the roof.

You should also get a better cooler if you're using
the standard AMD coolers. They're kind of underpowered
and a bit noisy. Invest in a slot fan to suck out, and
a frontal case fan to suck in. I can't remember the
"safe" temperatures for the AMD to work in. They used
to be able to run at about 80C before nasty things
happened - but please don't take my word for it: I
would never allow my CPU to run that hot.

--jaa