Re: [SLE] Installation catastrophe
Thanks very much for the replies to my posting about the kde installation
from a cover disk not working.

I uninstalled the faulty(?) KDE2.2 beta and reinstalled the KDE which is
supplied with SuSE7.2. Things have got from bad to worse, but I am not
panicking!

Now, when I boot, the last two lines of the boot log say:

Run level 5 has been reached
Skipped services in run level 5

It stays at a command prompt. Logging in and typing KDE to try to run it
manually, gives the following errors:

xsetroot: unable to open display "
xdpyinfo: unable to open display " "
xdpyinfo: unable to open display " "
xdpyinfo: unable to open display " "
xdpyinfo: unable to open display " "
/usr/x11R6/bin/kde: [ : : integer expression expected
xset: unable to open display " "
xset: unable to open display " "
xset: unable to open display " "
xset: unable to open display " "
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot load
shared object file: no such file or directory
knotify: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot load
shared object file: no such file or directory
/opt/kde2/bin/kinternet: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2:
cannot load shared object file: no such file or directory
ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot load
shared object file: no such file or directory

I can't find libqt.so.2 on the SuSE disks, unless it is part of kdelibs. In
case it is, I have deleted kdelibs and reinstalled it.

For information, I have the following installed:

/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt-mt.so
/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt-mt.so.2
/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt-mt.so.2.3
/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt-mt.so.2.3.0
/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt.so
/usr/lib/qt2.3.0/lib/libqt.so.2.3.0
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt.so.1
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt.so.1.44

but no libqt.so.2

None of the above means anything to me, with my limited Linux knowledge, so
once again, please could someone help?

For me, I think that the moral of this saga is that it is OK to install
programs from cover disks, but not system updates.

Very many thanks.

Keith