Re: [SLE] Very strange hardware problem
  • From: Tazio Ceri <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:47:01 +0200
david.garnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have exactly the same problem with my new box:
Mb Asus A7M266 with the last version of the Bios
512Mb DDR Crucial Registered ECC
Athlon 1Ghz
Video SiS 6326 PCI

Everything else seems irrelevant because the problem appears even with everything else unplugged (and with two different video cards, one PCI, one AGP).

In short, when I turn the box on, it actually boots only one in 3 times (usually). I can reboot it and it works fine. Rock stable (been running Win98 for two weeks without crashing).

One idea: when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, I had to keep pushing the power button for more than 4 seconds to actually turn it off. Pushing the button once doesn't stop it. When it boots normally, the button works OK.
I think it might be a problem with the power management system.

What Bios do you have? I have an Award Bios.

Best regards,
David Garnier

I have found out what my problem is. And I hope it is
not yours too.
It's the Slot A which does not feel the CPU properly.
I tried to disconnect it and I got just the same results
as when it does not want to start. There is no power passing
through the slot as the CPU without fan is not heating at all,
while my GeForce with a fan gets warm in a rush.
Now I am fighting back with the slot to accept finally my CPU.
Any idea on this problem is welcome!
I have been fighting this for a while with no success until now.
The CPU "clicks" properly when I put it in. There is a way to
change the SLOT without changing the MB?

Tazio