Re: [SLE] defrag
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 09 Aug 2001 16:43:28 +0200
Robert Barish <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> How does one defrag a hard drive in linux?

It has already been mentioned that fragmentation is not a problem for
the ext2 filesystem.

I'll add several notes:

- ext2 FS can be defragmented via the program defrag
(see e.g. http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/)
The code is rather old so be prepared for anything if you
run it. (I haven't done it and I don't intend to do it.)

Here is a part of its README file:
<README>
Performance improvements for ext2fs after defragmentation will
probably be around 5-10% at most for random access (such as running
binaries or loading demand-paged libraries), or 10-25% for sequential
accesses: sequential accesses are much more sensitive to fragmentation
that random accesses are. The results you obtain will depend a lot on
how full and old your filesystem is, of course.
</README>

- Defragmenation can also be done by backing up the filesystem
(e.g. by dump), recreating it (mkfs), and restoring (e.g. by
restore) the data.

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx