Re: [SLE] Question about .bashrc and $PATH (Newbie)
  • From: "Greg Krpan" <krpan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:58:29 -0500

If you add the following lines to .bashrc, it will do the trick:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/jdk1.3.0_02/bin
export PATH

You can also use those same 2 lines at the command line to change your
path.

Hope this helps!!

Greg Krpan (krpan@xxxxxxxx)
Senior System Administrator
Raytheon ITSS
USGS EROS Data Center, Mundt Federal Building
Sioux Falls, SD 57198
(605) 594 6854

neil briggs
<N.Briggs@canon-e To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
uropa.com> cc:
Subject: [SLE] Question about .bashrc and $PATH (Newbie)
08/09/01 08:13 AM

Dear List,

First of all a big thanks to all who helped with a confused newbie
installing
Xfree86 4.1. Managed to resolve all my problems and am startiing to enjoy
using linux more and more.

Please could somebody answer me this simple question. I have just installed

the java 2SDK envirnonment. I now need to add the path
/usr/local/jdk1.3.0_02/bin
This will allow java executables to be run from the terminal. From the
reading I have done I know to add this to the .bashrc, what is the format
of
the line that I need to add as there is currently no PATH defined in my
.bashrc file.

I have also read that you can change the $PATH variable using I think the
export command.

Which is the best option and could soomebody give me an example of either
the
line to add in .baschrc or of the export command.

I hope I am not too wide of the mark. If am wrong please put me right.

Many thanks
Neil