Question about .bashrc and $PATH (Newbie)
Dear List,

First of all a big thanks to all who helped with a confused newbie installing
Xfree86 4.1. Managed to resolve all my problems and am startiing to enjoy
using linux more and more.

Please could somebody answer me this simple question. I have just installed
the java 2SDK envirnonment. I now need to add the path
/usr/local/jdk1.3.0_02/bin
This will allow java executables to be run from the terminal. From the
reading I have done I know to add this to the .bashrc, what is the format of
the line that I need to add as there is currently no PATH defined in my
.bashrc file.

I have also read that you can change the $PATH variable using I think the
export command.

Which is the best option and could soomebody give me an example of either the
line to add in .baschrc or of the export command.

I hope I am not too wide of the mark. If am wrong please put me right.

Many thanks
Neil

  • No further messages