Gateway Woes
  • From: kbb0927@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 20:06:41 -0400
Hello All,

I spent some time last pm getting my desktop setup to use as a gateway.
To make a long story short, with the help of Bruce Marshall, I got
SuSEfirewall2 set up and running. I am actually sending this email from
a windoze machine on my home lan behind that firewall.

The problem is now, the gateway will not browse the web using any browser
and www.blahblahblah.whatever. If i put in an IP address of say, Yahoo,
it will go that site and pull up that page. In other words, typing
www.suse.com eventually times out with cannot connect to remote server.

I have a dialup 56K modem and a dynamic IP address from my ISP. When
connected /etc/route.conf shows: nameserver plus the correct IP address
of my ISP. I have no nameserver on my internal LAN, I do not use DHCP.
All IP addresses are static of 192.168.1.x.

What am I doing wrong now? /etc/route.conf is empty.

Thanks,

Keith B.

< Previous Next >