Re: [SLE] libdvdcss-0.0.2.tar.gz
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:24:23 +0200
On Wednesday 08 August 2001 09:02, Guy Van Sanden wrote:
> Hello eddie
>
> What verion of SuSE are you running?
> I use a version of xine that I got from one of the links on
> their site, it has DECSS compiled in (but is sort of illegal to
> distribute, that's why it's not on the main download pages)...
> (just check the links on the xine site)
>
> DECSS is illegal because it can decrypt discs from all regions,

Not quite. The region coding has never been illegal to defeat, and in fact
here stores advertise their 'region code crack' quite openly. I don't think
they'd sell anything if they didn't :)

> which is a threat to the close-minded movie industry. DECSS was
> not created specially for that purpose, but discs from your own
> region need to be decrypted too. As the movie industry did not
> provide this decryption themselves, the author of DECSS created
> a program that could do it, but there was no added value in
> adding regional restrictions... that's not the GNU way.

The captain_css version of xine css plugin can't handle discs from other
regions when the player has a set code. This plugin can, but it has other
(minor) usability problems. I'm sure the codes will merge once the developers
have handled the larger tasks facing them. For now, it works, but it's not
very 'user friendly'.

> Kind regards
>
> Guy
>

> PS: I'm not mailing this to the list because DECSS

regards
Anders