Re: [SLE] libdvdcss-0.0.2.tar.gz
  • From: "Guy Van Sanden" <sienix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:02:51 +0200
Hello eddie

What verion of SuSE are you running?
I use a version of xine that I got from one of the links on
their site, it has DECSS compiled in (but is sort of illegal to
distribute, that's why it's not on the main download pages)...
(just check the links on the xine site)

DECSS is illegal because it can decrypt discs from all regions,
which is a threat to the close-minded movie industry. DECSS was
not created specially for that purpose, but discs from your own
region need to be decrypted too. As the movie industry did not
provide this decryption themselves, the author of DECSS created
a program that could do it, but there was no added value in
adding regional restrictions... that's not the GNU way.

Kind regards

Guy

PS: I'm not mailing this to the list because DECSS

>I've not been successful with setting up my dvd player to play
dvd movies. I
>envy all those who speak about xine, vlc, ogle and other
programs that they
>use to watch dvd's. Following an early mailing by Anders
Johansson, I've