Re: [SLE] GNOME user question
  • From: rjwohlfar@xxxxxxxxxxx, UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:15:52 -0500 (EST)
On 6 Aug, Michael Molloy wrote:
> I installed NEdit on my SuSE 7.1 installation and created a launcher on my
> gnome desktop to the application. The problem is when I start NEdit from the
> launcher, it doesn't pick up additions I've made to my path. However, when I
> start it from a terminal window inside gnome, it does contain the additions
> I've made to my path. (Those additions are in /home/mmolloy/.bashrc BTW).

Short answer: log out of GNOME and back in.

Long answer: PATH is an environment variable. Every process gets an
environment when it firsts starts. And the process keeps that
environment until it finishes.

Editing .bashrc changes future environments. Not those currently
running. AFAIK, GNOME has no way to reload its environment. Logging
back in loads a brand new environment, complete with your latest
changes.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
rjwohlfar@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Is not life more important than food, and the body more
important than clothes?" -- Matthew 6:25b