Re: [SLE] [OT] NTL Cable modem
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:27:25 -0400
David Bottrill wrote:

> I had NTL cable installed 14 months ago and overall I am very pleased with
> it. I use a Linksys router to connect my home network to the cable modem.
>
> One problem to bear in mind is that the cable modem remembers the MAC address
> of the first network card to be connected to it, I have tried a number of
> methods to clear this down but to no avail. So the first rule is make a note
> of your MAC address. I'm not sure how you can overide the MAC address of a
> NIC under Linux but this can be easily done on the Linksys router also with
> most versions of windoze.
>
> If someone out there can advise how to overide a NIC's MAC address can they
> let me know so I can make a note for future reference.

Since you have a Linksys router, try going to the control program
(http://192.168.1.1) and then select Advanced, then select the fifth tab
at the top (MAC address clone). I think that will do it for you. It
does get complicated, though, because your ISP (NTL, I guess) wants to
know the IP address that they see, and changing it requires a dialog with
them.

However, all that may be overkill. In my case, when I first had my
system connected to the cable modem, I deliberately didn't go through the
router. Then when I got my router I gave the ISP the MAC address of the
router, and that worked fine. You should be able to discover all the
relevant IP and MAC addresses by poking around in the Linksys control
program.

Paul