7.2 Install successful, but every boot fails.
  • From: "Argentium G. Tiger" <agtiger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:10:54 -0500
Okay, thanks to Volker I made it this far... Now comes another odd
problem.

This system board has onboard SCSI, and I have four scsi devices:

0: an 8 gig Seagate SCSI drive
1: an 8 gig Seagate SCSI drive
2: a Plextor 32X UltraPlex CDROM
3: a Plextor 4X PlexWriter

Anyway, in this SMP system (iWill DBS100 motherboard, 2 Pentium III's @ 450
MHz each), I get this far, and then the boot just stops:

request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:03
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

And that's where it stops.

This happens both when the system bios is configured to boot in the order:
A,C,SCSI, as well as SCSI,A,C

I've done two separate from-scratch installs, one with Kernel 2.2 for
SMP, one for Kernel 2.4 for SMP - same results.

/boot is /dev/sda1
swap is /dev/sda2
/ is /dev/sda3
/pub is /dev/sdb1

Ideas? Am I missing an important lilo hardware parameter?

Argentium