[SLE] ssh and telnet.
  • From: Jesse Marlin <jesse.marlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:30:53 -0400
Erik Jakobsen writes:
> Hi.
>
> Using SuSE linux 7.2 here.
>
> Isn't it not possible to acces with ssh, rsh and telnet from another
Ah, I see you have mastered the double negative.

> computer
> from the outside. I mean from a friend placed another place in the
> country.
> Is there some parts of the firewall set by default ?.

After installing 7.2, I noticed that telnet was not started up by default,
but ssh was. Since this computer was located on the local LAN I wanted
both. So if you edit /etc/inetd.conf and search for telnet you will see
it is commented out for security reasons. Just remove the comment,
and type /etc/rc.d/inetd restart to restart inetd.