ADSL and Kernel 2.4.5 problem
  • From: Jaakko Tamminen <jtamminen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:48:02 +0300
Hello

Has anyone had the problem with "new" 2.4.5 kernel, that ADSL line keeps stopping
for apparently no reason?

I went back to 2.2.19 kernel (SuSE 7.2), and ADSL works like it should.

I have gone thru logs etc, but haven't found anything that could solve this one..
Not even a hint where to look for!

With 2.4.5 kernel I have tried both SuSEfirewall and SuSEfirewall2, and both dhcpd
and dhclient, but it makes no difference.

Symptom is that the line suddenly goes dead. No pings get thru etc.. Route and
ifconfig is still as they should, no extra log entrys appear etc..

When I run /etc/rc.d/dhclient restart, the line wakes up.. and it can stay up for
hours, or just few seconds. I also tried to play around with dhclient parameters,
but no affect.

I have noticed that getting the newgroup grouplist is almost an "instant death" to
my ADSL line, so could it be related to different ports?

When only browsing the net, not downloading anything, and doing some e-mail, it
seems to work quite well...

I have an "old" Pentium 200Mhz with SuSE 7.2 with ADSL line and dynamic IP, and it
sits between my LAN and internet. I do maquerading and firewalling with it.

J. Tamminen

  • No further messages