Re: Trouble authenticate Samba with NT
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Hung Hua wrote:

hh> I have finally got Samba machine to join the NT domain with the
hh> this linux command "smbpasswd -j Domain -r server". I am still

Glad to hear you got it to join.

hh> having problem accessing the share that I created on the Linux
hh> machine. It still prompt me for my user name and password when I
hh> try to connect to it. I can connect to it if I enter in the user
hh> name that I created in the linux machine but I can attach to it
hh> using the NT user name. One of the Samba document ask me to
hh> create a "domainuser.mapping" file to map Unix name to NT user
hh> name (eg. root = administrator). I did create that but I don't
hh> know where to put the file.
hh>

You can usually place the file wherever you want, but typically it's
where you keep the rest of your samba configuration files. For example,
the following:

domain user map = /usr/samba/domainuser.mapping

I've also seen

domain user map = /etc/samba/domainuser.mapping

you will want to be sure you have the formatting correct within the
file. This is:

UnixUsername = [\\Domain\\]NTUserName

not sure if case sensitivity is a factor.

hh> Does anyone know how to set up Samba to authenticate with a NT PDC
hh> domain properly? Or even where I can find information on how to
hh> perform this. I am trying to setup Samba as a file server and
hh> only allow certain NT user to access certain share base on the NT
hh> logon authentication.
hh>

Take a peek at O'Reilly's website, there's a great samba book available
for purchase as well as downloadable pdf. Should contain everything you
need. Well worth the cost if you decide to purchase it. Anyway, let me
know if the above helps.
By the way, got your message that you sent me privately, but noticed you
got it solved before I got home from work.

hh>

--
S.Toms - smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - www.mindspring.com/~smotrs
SuSE Linux v7.0+ - Kernel 2.2.18

You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.

  • No further messages