Re: [SLE] Apache Probs

> Thomas Bishop wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I scoured the archives trying to find a similar problem and hopefully
> > solution, but nada. Apache won't start. Rcapache stop fails. Rcapache
> > start says done, but it isn't. I get connection refused messages in
> > Netscape on other machines. Could this be a firewall prob? I think I
> > have this right, but what would I put in rcfirewall to allow the LAN
> > access to this webserver? In /var/log/httpd/error_log I see "address
> > already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80". ???? I have
> > uninstalled mod_authldap as I read something about it not playing nice
> > with php4. This is on a fresh install of 7.2Pro as a server . Please
> > point me in the right direction. I'm doing the same things I did in 7.1
> > to get it going, but no joy.
> > --
> > TRBishop
> > tb64710@xxxxxxxxxx
> > SuSE 7.2 Pro

>On Tuesday 31 July 2001 06:45 pm, Gary Manning wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I'm working through the same problem (I think). I have upgraded by
> thinkpad from 7.1 to 7.2. There were *lot's* of issues that I managed
> to resolve. The only think left is apache. In 7.1 I could lenter
> "localhost" into Netscape and get a local copy of the Suse Help stuff.
> Not I do not get a connection.
>
> When I start apache with /etc/init.d/apache start I get:
>
> root@nehi:/etc/init.d > ./apache start
> Starting httpd [ SSL PERL Jserv Tomcat ]
>
> Syntax error on line 17 of /opt/jakarta/conf/tomcat.conf:
> ApJServManual: cannot be specified more than once per host
> unused
>
> /var/log/httpd/rcapache.log says:
> Syntax error on line 17 of /opt/jakarta/conf/tomcat.conf:
> ApJServManual: cannot be specified more than once per host
>
> I've played with removing and reinstalling packages but no joy. I
> removed:
> authldap
> jserv
> mod-perl
> jakarta
> apache
> apache-contrib
>
> and reinstalled:
> apache
> apache-contrib
> mod-ssl (starting apache gave me an error that required an ssl shared
> lib)
> mod-perl
> jserv
> and finially jakarta.
>
> I tried starting apache after loading each module. Apache wouldn't
> start until apache, apache-contrib, and mod-ssl were loaded. After that
> apache started and I got a web page from "localhost" but not the SuSE
> help stuff. Adding mod-perl and jserv made no difference. Adding
> jakarta gave me back my original error.
>
> I commented out the portions of "/opt/jakarta/conf/tomcat.conf" that
> were causing the complaints. Commenting out one gave another error.
> [...]

Very interesting. Always glad (I guess) to find out it's not just me. My
next course of action was to start with no mods and add one at a time as you
have done. Guess that's where I'm headed. Maybe someone will still come
forward with the magic incantation to make apache work. Good luck to you,
Gary, in your efforts. Thanks for giving me a couple of things to try.
--
TRBishop
tb64710@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >