Re: [SLE] [OT] MS Office (XP): the sad truth
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 01:15:01 +0200
RTF is an ansi standard, I believe. As far as I can see it covers all the
features a document needs, but not, of course, the OLE embedded things
microsoft insists is essential in a word/excel/minesweeper(?) application

The problem with XML, at least as far as I can understand things, is that

<MS_PROPRIETARY_THINGY>
binary data here
</MS_PROPRIETARY_THINGY>

would be valid XML. Perhaps someone with a deeper understanding of XML can
correct me, but as I understand it, the actual interpreter of that data need
only be named in the definition, not provided (I have to admit I haven't
spent too much time researching this. Perhaps it shows). There is nothing in
the XML spec that says it has to be platform independent, or open, or
anything at all for that matter, as I understand things.

Regards
Anders