Re: [SLE] Re: Microsoft Software Cost Analysis (Was: Re: suse 7.2!!)
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:43:01 -0500
At 11:08 PM 5/31/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:45:30PM -0700, Jim Osborn allegedly said:
>>
>> Shouldn't that be 25 * $70? I know SuSE said it was perfectly ok
>> for me to intall my single copy on each of my home machines (2 at present),
>> but I'd assume in a business environment, you'd want to pay for
>> each seat.
>>
>Someone correct me if I am wrong.......but my understanding is...don't
>copy the disks, but install on as many machines as I could want?

1. You are correct. It is as legal as can be to make multiple installs of your SuSE software. IBM could buy one box and install it on every computer in the corporation ( talk about savings ;-).

2. In fact, it is even legal to make copies of the set for your own use ( here goes the ISO thing again...) and IIRC it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to make copies of the set and distribute them to your friends, and even sell them -- right?

Someone (Ben? ) correct me if I'm wrong about the second part. I already know I'm right about the first part :-)

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com