Re: [SLE] PC CMOS WAS: [SLE] The Registry.
They did this sort of thing with the tulip based Nics. They tied a feature
into the win OS that would wake sleeping nics to access a systems for WOL
and WOR (wake on Lan and wake on ring) features. I had to buy a new nic
because my linksys used a tulip drivers. It did recognize the internal
connection but wouldn't recongize the the external. Nothing like seeing the
little green light that shows the computer is talking to the nic but not
talking to the cable modem. Corel linux and the tulip drivers at the time
weren't setup to wake/make active the sillything - essentially I had a
Win-Nic (just great). the D-link used different technology and I had no
problem (they had a fairly extensive article about them on the net about a
year ago). If they start pulling this stunt then I and my friends will have
to boycott/avoid computers that place access space for M$ code and products
in their bios.

Just MHO, Curtis