From: "Sean Akers" <sean.akers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] The Registry.

> The CMOS memory in your PC is only used for BIOS settings. Mr. Gates and
Windows doesn't save anything there (can you imagine if they did ? Oh My God
!!!!) and neither does Linux.

> The "registry" is a system database used by Windows and is stored as a
file (or several files if I remember correctly) on your HD (somewhere in
C:\Windows). The function of the registry is to ensure that a Windows system
is as unreliable and unmaintainable as possible and to cause maximum
user/administrator frustration as frequently as possible.

> Look on it as a kind of "all your eggs in one basket" approach to system
status and configuration storage. If anything untoward happens to the
registry then you can use the wonderful GUI application called the "registry
editor" to totally hose your system beyond any hope of repair. "The
registry" also ensures that when you reinstall your OS, you have to
reinstall and configure all your apps again as it is not easily restored
from backup (I've tried this a few times in the past, each time without
success). I don't know what possessed the engineers at Microsoft to come up
with something so totally, completely, utterly, incredibly and massively
stupid. Insanity ! Honestly, what a tw*t the guy who thought it up must have
been. The registry is a software equivalent of a "Crime against humanity"
IMHO.

> Linux on the other hand has no "registry" as such (thank The Lord).
Everything to do with setup and configuration is stored in these wonderfully
high tech things called, for want of a better word, "text files". Each app
has it's own configuration "text file" which can be edited with a special
registry editor called a "text editor". In 90% of cases, if anything
untoward happens to one of these text files then, it has no particular
effect on your system whatsoever, only the app to which it applies. If you
reinstall your OS and have made a backup of these "text files" then you can
just copy them back to their original place and everything is hunky dory
again. Also, if you cock up one of the configuration text files that does
have an adverse effect on your system, you can even boot from a rescue
floppy and use a "text editor" to repair the file and fix things again.

> Linux, thankfully has to share nothing with Windows with the exception of
the MBR record and partition tables on your HD. So don't worry about dual
booting.