Re: [SLE] The Registry.
  • From: "Alan Lenton" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:16:19 +0100
Um... no... that's not quite right!

The registry is part of the Windoze operating system. it's used to keep
setting for programs and for the Windoze operating system. This gives
ordinary users the ability, using regedit, to mess up Windoze so badly that
it won't even boot :) [Don't try it - I'm not joking!]

It isn't kept in CMOS, it's in normal memory. You could theoretically
damage it from a dual boot linux system because (at least under SuSE 7.1)
you can access the Windoze file system on the Windoze partition. But you
are no worse off in this regard than just running Windoze.

I don't think you need worry, unless you have a rampant desire to tamper
and to discover that it is much easier to install Linux than it is to
re-install Windoze...

alan