Re: [SLE] Windows/Linux is bumming me out
  • From: Hans Fangohr <fangohr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:36:52 +0100 (BST)
> Ok. First thing, there was a guy name Jonathan on this list who was
> trying to help me re-install X. Well, on my dual boot machine (Windows
> 2000 Pro./SuSE 7.0), something has happened to the boot table(?), so I
> can't boot into Windows to use my ISP. Right now, I'm limping along on
> one of my old machines. I get the IRQ list, and then nothing. I think I
> can still boot into SuSE, but I have some data on the Windows drive that
> I would like to rescue thru Linux. If I can get my X working again, I
> could use XRoast to burn it to a cdrom and then I would have to reload
> both Windows/Linux cause after more than a year I am still not
> comfortable using Linux.
Well regarding saving your data:

You don't need X to burn a cd. Have a look into CD-Writing Howto (let us
know if you can't find it). It is explained in there, and takes only a few
commands to create a CD (without X).

This way you could save your data, and then just re-install windows, if
you can't fix it otherwise.

Good luck,

Hans

Hans Fangohr