Re: [SLE] New domain just registered for.....plz read
  • From: matthew johnson <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 30 May 2001, Rick Barnes wrote:

> At 02:50 AM 5/30/01, Alan Lenton wrote:
> >Nice idea. One useful thing would be a 'testing' service. A lot of people
> >don't use linux on the desktop, and so have no means of checking
> >themselves. (My own company falls into this category, we use linux servers,
> >but not the desktop yet)
> >
> >I'm sure there are people around who would like to ask for their site to be
> >checked by someone with linux browsers so they could make any changes
> >necessary.
>
> This already exists.
>
> http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
>
> From the Amaya web page:
> Amaya is a browser/authoring tool that allows you to publish documents
> on the Web. It is used to demonstrate and test many of the new developments
> in Web protocols and data formats. Given the very fast moving nature of Web
> technology, Amaya has a central role to play. It is versatile and extensible
> and is available on both Unix and Windows '95/NT platforms.
>
> Amaya has a counterpart called Jigsaw which plays a similar role on the server
> side.
>

> Rick Barnes
> rag3fan@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks Rick,

The main issue with Amaya is that it is just a technological tool
(useful!), but as we know a lot of Websites are published using MSFT
products like FrontPage, or they will insert these proprietry (sorry about
the spelling) tools that no-one else other than a MSFT web browser can
view, or they put up a banner to say only MSFT and Apple OS platforms
supported.

Do not forget that there are even extensions to Java too on MSFT
platforms, what a mess...

Matt