Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:05:41 -0700
* Paul Abrahams (abrahams@xxxxxxx) [010530 12:50]:
->Mark Hounschell wrote:
->
->> It looks like the same as you. After bootup all is ok but after exiting
->> and logging
->> backin [Alt-CTL-Fn] do not work and ALT-CTL-F7 gets me back ok. But since I
->> never do that
->> anyway it doesn't bother me. Once in kde all works great. If I need a
->> term I open
->> konsole. I have never had a need to use the ALT-CTL-Fx from within kde
->> or the kdm
->> prompt. Oh well, you know what the doctor says, if it hurts don't do it.
->
->It's always useful to know that the misbehavior isn't peculiar to my system. We have a
->real, genuine, certified bug here.

Solution:

1. Get kernel 2.4.4's RPM /pub/people/mantel/next/RPM
A. Install this.
2. Get kernel 2.4.4's tar.gz /pub/people/mantel/next
3. Unzip the tar.gz kernel src in /usr/src and replace the link so that
it points to the new src.
4. Get the tar.gz files of the nVidia driver and GLX.
5. mv them to /usr/src and untar them.
6. cd into the kernel module directory and make the module
7. Do the make install for the GLX.
8. Search the archives for the modified switch2nv_glx and use this.
9. It will work. I have NO problems ..with or without KDM.

Unresolved symbols stem from a mismatch of src. If you don't have the
same src that your compiling the module against as your running kernel
is using..then the module will be hella fucked up and won't work. These
drivers work. The kernel works. Doing it right makes it work.

Last 0.02
--
Ben Rosenberg
mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx